Speed home at approximately 120mph. A cop starts following me with lights, and I ignore him.
Show up at our street, and marielle is in the car with Hadley, so I run like the guy from Terminator 2 to my house.
Start grabbing the 1 thing I know isn't insured, all of my art! Fill up both cars with framed art and tubes.
Cops block the street at this point so I can't get in at all. About 100 firefighters are right below my house.
I sneak past the cops so I can grab my passports, birth certificates, change into comfortable clothes, and by request grab marielle's $40 gary fong lightsphere for her camera (i don't really get it, but whatever).
This is what I see from my window:
A firefighter is in my smoke filled living room telling me I need to chop down the tree behind my house. I try to have a conversation with him, but everything was happening too fast to say anything meaningful like "thanks for stomping mud through my living room to put out the deck that caught on fire." No really, I am glad he was there.
Back with Marielle a few blocks away, a fire starts a from an ember between two houses. I grab a hose in an effort to extinguish it and then I notice a helicopter above my head. It is too late and I get dumped on with dirty lake water.
About four hours later, everything is over and we go in to inspect the damage. Burnt Decks, broken windows, mud tracked throughout the house. This is the picture in the news (we are the light grey one with the huge flame on the right):
7 comments:
What happened with the cop that was following you? I was totally left hanging with that one...are you a criminal now? I think my favorite part was that you got dumped on by dirty lake water-classic.
Seriously though, I'm glad the situation wasn't any worse-I would have totally freaked out. Glad you guys (and your house) are okay!!
Wasn't there a fire there last summer too? I am glad it turned out okay. With my extensive firefighting experience, I would say that you guys are so lucky! However, if I had been your firefighter, I would have wiped my feet!
Wow guys, I'm so glad you two , Hadley, and Brody are okay as well as your house. You are very blessed.
Holy crap!! I can't believe that happened to you guys! The dirty lake water part was my favorite. I'm glad you're all ok!
Marielle that is so scary! I can't believe that happened but I am glad you are all okay!
glad you guys are safe
We're so glad that you're safe. We've been hearing about the CA fires on CNN International, but since it's CNN International the reports aren't very specific.
Our first year of marriage we lived in Ian's aunt's house in the hills above the Provo temple. One afternoon we drove home from campus and complained about the smoky haze that we assumed was from fires elsewhere in the area (it was one of those summers). Then we noticed that the hills above our house were blazing. We couldn't get anywhere near the house for a few hours. Half our ward was evacuated, but the fires didn't quite reach us. Our neighbors across the street had smoke damage though and for the next month the swamp cooler pulled ash into the house. The smell was overwhelming but we felt very lucky.
Post a Comment