Thursday, June 12, 2008

FIRE!!!!!

Here is the scariest story of my life thus far....

I was doing laundry and when I came upstairs, I smelled smoke. I went and looked out the back door and saw a fire that had started at the base of the hill behind our house. I quickly grabbed Hadley, Brody, our laptop and my camera gear and got the heck out of the house! After I loaded everything into the car, I ran back inside (I was in no way calm, collected or composed) and I looked out the deck and the whole hill behind our house was totally in a huge blaze. So I got the heck out, called Sam to tell him that our house was probably going to burn down and cried like a huge, big baby.

So we spent all day today stuck in our car down the street from our house, with ashes falling from the sky, watching the helecopters dump water on the fire, wondering what was happening. We weren't allowed to go down the street or into our houses so when it came time to feed Hadley, I had to drive to the store and buy all new food for her. We seriously sat in the car all day long waiting for them to finish fighting the fire. IT SUCKED!!!! There were probably about 20 fire trucks in our neighborhood for the day. We just sat in our cars and waited to hear what had happened.

This is the report...

Our house was the only one on the street that actually caught fire. Our deck caught fire and thankfully the firemen were able to put it out before the rest of the house caught on fire. You can actually check out the video of our deck on fire here. The white house on the right is ours.
Pretty scary stuff!

So, here is the damage:

* The firemen tromped through our house, leaving our white carpets completley black with soot, mud and whatever else was on their shoes. Did I mention that our carpet used to be white? They have to be replaced because of the firemen, and also because of the smokey smell stuck inside the carpet. No bueno!

* A few windows in our house crakced from the heat of the fire

* Our deck needs to be replaced. Our BBQ grill (with a propane tank) was on the deck during the fire. I am so grateful that it didn't catch fire because our house probably would have exploded.

* A smoke stench that is in all of our clothes, drapes, and throughout the whole house. We had to stay at a hotel the night of the fire because we couldn't stand to even be in our house.

I am so grateful that our whole house didn't burn to the ground. Let me tell you, that was the scariest time of my life, running through my house thinking that I might not have a home later that day.

We know that the Lord was really watching out for us. Having to replace a few windows and carpet and a deck really isn't a big deal. I am just grateful that we were watched over and that our house is still standing!

Sam took a bunch of photos with his phone, we will have to post them later for all to see.

12 comments:

lyndsey said...

geez lady...that is the scariest story ever! i'm glad you guys are okay...and that the damage to the house was minimal, but that still sucks. do they know what caused it? even though you said you weren't calm & collected, i think you did a good job. way to collect the baby, dog and tech supplies :)

bethany said...

That is scary!! I can't imagine what I would have done, but I don't think I would have been cool. calm, and collected either!! It sounds like you got the most important stuff :) Glad that your house has only minor damage!!

Chelsea said...

How scary! I am so sorry about your house. Good job getting out safely! I would have been flipping out too :)

Brittany and Steve Macbeth said...

CRAZY!!! I drove by that day on the way to Walnut Creek, but the fire was almost out by then. Good luck with all the fixing you have to do. God sure does watch over us.

jaacs said...

Okay, hello! I can't believe that happened. That IS scary. Did they figure out how it started? It sounds like you were collected to me. I would like to think I would remember those important things (after the kids and dogs, of course) but who knows!

You are awesome!!

Tyler and ShaeLee May said...

Marielle and Sam. You guys are awesome. Scary - we are so glad you are ok. If you need a place to stay you can move in with us.

tyler and shaelee

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh! You guys are not only blessed but someone was on you side and looking out for you! I had my apt complex start on fire once and I completely know...a word of advise anything cream, white, eggshell, etc. will turn a beautiful shade of grey as the soot continues to settle. Love you guys, we will say lots of prayers for you!

Ruth and Jordan said...

I am so glad you guys are okay. I would be so scared too!!

Hannah Stevenson said...

HOLY COW!
I'm so glad you are all safe and that your house is too. Those pictures of the blaze scared me...I can't imagine seeing that close to my house in real life. Way to get the most important things out! At least you get new carpet. ;)

David and Becky said...

Wow! I'm so glad you guys are okay.

Allison said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the fire. I'm glad you and you're family are safe.

Megan said...

Oh my heck! How scary. I'm glad you all made it through unscathed! I helped restore a bunch of stuff from a house that wasn't so fortunate one time and let me tell you, that wasn't much fun. I'm glad you didn't have to go through that.